4×4 Familiarisation and Winter Driving
RoSPA 4×4 Familiarisation courses for utilities companies preparing for winter, to aid in complyiance with the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations, and to prepare 4×4 operators for driving in snow, ice and flood conditions.
The one day RoSPA 4x4 Familiarisation course covers:
- 4×4 and All Wheel Drive (AWD) transmission systems (and how to operate them on the move)
- Vehicle checks including suitability of tyres and optional equipment
- ABS, Traction Control, and intelligent systems which provide response to differing terrain
- Stability programmes (such as DSC/ASC/ESC/ESP)
- On-road driver assessment, aimed at driving in adverse conditions
- Introduction to basic off-road driving on established tracks and safe inclines
During the training we show drivers how their machines react to a loss of grip under acceleration, and how to reduce the risks, and improve vehicle control, while braking and cornering on low traction surfaces.
Basic 4×4 familiarisation training is for operators of off-road capable vehicles and essential for all 4×4 drivers if they are expected to work in adverse weather conditions. Where government or emergency services recommend not to drive, further training may be required.
In order to enable fuller compliance with H&S recommendations and PUWER, on-road training and assessment is essential, as the occupational road risk from larger, heavier vehicles which often have a high centre of gravity is increased, especially in emergency and adverse weather or winter conditions.
Where drivers may be required to drive off-road, this course may provide an entry onto the Professional 1 day Off-Road Driving - Experienced Operator course upon meeting the required criteria.
4×4 Familiarisation Training in the workplace:
- Accreditation: RoSPA
- Duration: 1 day
- Max. number of candidates: 2 novice, 3 refresher with evidence of prior training to RoSPA or Lantra standard
- Venue: Dependent upon needs – basic courses and 4×4 familiarisation can be covered at your venue, or at one of our off-road centres.
- Trainer: DVSA ADI, RoSPA 4×4 trainer.
- Benefits: Aids compliance with PUWER and H&S legislation. Reduces incidents and gives drivers the skill to use their vehicles more effectively.
- Cost: From £270-£375/candidate (minimum 2 candidates)
(Where required, other certification, such as the Lantra 4x4 training may be available. Courses can be tailored as preparation for external assessment to NPTC (City and Guilds) standards, or similar.)
For more information on 4×4 Familiarisation and Winter Driving courses for company drivers, contact us.